Choose a Major
UMD graduates returning to the University are not allowed to return to a major from which they graduated. The process for changing your major differs depending on whether you would like to earn a second degree or be non-degree seeking.
If you wish to earn a degree, you must develop a graduation plan with an advisor within your desired college in accordance with the Student Academic Success-Degree Completion Policy. Please consult a college advisor to develop the plan as soon as possible. You will not be readmitted to the University as a degree seeking undergraduate until the Student Success Office receives approval from a college advisor. Advisors may submit this approval via email to email@example.com.
Limited Enrollment Programs
If you want to change your major to one of the following programs, the Student Success Office will contact the LEP Admissions office to verify your eligibility. Please note that you will need to meet the LEP requirements and may be required to complete a separate application.
- Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences and Policy-Biodiversity and Conservation
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Government and Politics
- Psychology (Students who matriculated to the University System of Maryland in Fall 2013 and after)
All Other Majors
You can view a list of majors on the UMD website.
If you want to change your major to a program not listed above, you must submit proof that you have permission to change your major. To do so, please have an
academic advisor from your desired college do the following two things:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org granting you permission to change your major.
- Add a note to the Student Information System (SIS) granting you permission to change your major.
Non-degree seeking students should leave the line labeled new major within the application blank. Please note that if you are approved to return, your registration date will be scheduled for the first day of classes.