Parents & Family FAQs

Whom can I contact about reinstatement?

The Faculty Petition Board is anonymous and cannot be contacted by students or parents. Students can direct general questions about the reinstatement application and reenrollment process to the Student Success Office at Due to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, the University cannot release student information to parents without the student's written permission. It is preferable for students to contact us directly so we can view their records and provide the most accurate information. If you are seeking additional support, please consider contacting the Parent Warmline at or 301-314-7651.

How will I know if my child is experiencing academic problems?

The best way to remain informed about your child's academic progress is to have open communication with your child. Due to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act the University cannot release student information to parents without the student's written permission. Unfortunately, when students are reluctant to share that they are experiencing academic problems, parents may be the last to know about these difficulties.

What is academic probation? What is academic dismissal?

Academic probation and dismissal are solely determined by cumulative GPA. Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students who have earned at least 60 credits are academically dismissed if their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for a second consecutive semester (excluding winter and summer terms). Students are notified by the Office of the Registrar when they are placed on academic probation and are required to consult an academic advisor. When students are academically dismissed, they are notified by the Student Success Office. This notice includes a statement that registration for the next semester (excluding winter or summer terms) will be canceled. Visit the Undergraduate Catalog for more information about the academic dismissal and probation policies.

My child is experiencing academic difficulties. What can I do?

Please realize that other than offering support, there may be little that you can do as a parent. It is important for students to take responsibility for their own education. Try calmly discussing the circumstances of your student’s academic difficulties with him or her. There are many reasons for academic problems and it is important to understand the cause of the problem before attempting to solve it. Encourage your student to utilize student resources to improve academic performance. Students experiencing academic difficulties should meet with an advisor and carefully consider their plans for the next semester. It may be beneficial to take a lighter course load, change majors, or take a semester break if there are personal factors impacting academic performance.

My child has been academically dismissed. What is the next step?

Academically dismissed students can appeal their dismissal by submitting a reinstatement application through the Student Success Office by the appropriate deadline. The first step is to consider whether seeking immediate reinstatement is the best option. Academic dismissal is usually the consequence of ongoing academic and/or personal issues. Many students need time to improve the situations that led to these difficulties. Parents can play a valuable role in helping students see the big picture and make a mature decision.

What happens after my child submits a reinstatement application?

Reinstatement applications are reviewed by the Faculty Petition Board. The Board considers whether it is in the student’s best interest to make an exception to University policy based on his/her GPA, transcripts, and information provided in the written statement. Students receive electronic access to their decision in addition to a mailed letter. If approved for reinstatement, students can register for the next semester, but will be dismissed again if their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0. Students denied reinstatement will not be able to register for future semesters. Denial letters sometimes contain specific requirements to fulfill before applying again for reinstatement, such as taking a semester break or completing transferable credits at another institution.

Resources for Your Student

Academic Advising

Academic advisors provide information on requirements, help students plan for the future, and serve as a resource for additional support. It is important for students who are experiencing academic difficulties to discuss their situation with an advisor from their department.

Guided Study Sessions & Handouts

The Counseling Center offers web resources and hosts the Guided Study Sessions (GSS) Program. GSS offers FREE, regularly scheduled group review sessions for students in traditionally difficult courses.

Counseling Center

Staffed by counseling and clinical psychologists, the Counseling Center provides help and support around personal, interpersonal, and vocational issues.

Tutoring & Academic Success Resources

The University is committed to academic excellence, and provides a variety of tutoring and other academic resources to support student success. This site guides students to services available on campus, from our peer institutions, and other non-university websites.