Skip to main content

Academic Probation

Students with a cumulative GPA under 2.00 will be placed on Academic Probation. All Students must have a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average across all courses used to satisfy major degree requirements, minor requirements, and undergraduate certificate requirements, respectively. Individual department, college, school, or program requirements may exceed this minimum.

As a UMD student on academic probation, you should consider the following recommendations for improving your academic record:

1. Review the requirements

Review the requirements of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. Students are expected to attain a cumulative 2.00 GPA at the end of any probationary semester. Students who fail to achieve a 2.00 cumulative GPA at the end of their probationary semester may be academically dismissed.

2. Meet with your academic advisor

Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your current academic record and the action steps required to be removed from academic probation. This could include adjusting your upcoming semester's course load.

3. Utilize professor's office hours

Utilize your professor's office hours and discuss how you can improve your academic performance this semester. Find tips on how to talk to faculty during office hours.

4. Review resources

5. Use the GPA Calculator

Use the GPA by GPA Goal Calculator to determine the minimum cumulative GPA you need to earn to be in good academic standing. In determining your goal GPA, please remember to fill in the calculator using all attempted credits and not earned credits.

6. Meet again with your academic advisor

Meet with your academic advisor to discuss:

  • The possibility of dropping a course prior to the Schedule Adjustment Period (add/drop a course) deadline. Review the Drop Period Policy and the Office of the Registrar's academic deadlines.
  • Registration for the following semester. Registration appointments begin in early November and early April. You will need electronic advising stamps from your college advisor in order to register for classes while on academic probation.

7. Consider registering for a winter or summer course

Consider registering for a winter or summer course to raise your cumulative GPA. Be advised that it is very difficult to raise your cumulative GPA over a 2.00 through the completion of one or two courses.

8. Contact departments

Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and the Department of Resident Life for more information about the impact of academic dismissal on your contracts with those departments.

Back to Top